Saturday, February 4, 2012

Technology and Me;Part 1

Over the past few months, I have come across terms that sound so weird, that I wonder what the guy that came up with it was sipping at the time he got the "eureka". But that's not what this story is about; this story is about technology and the consumer. When I listen in on the grapevine, I hear statements like, "Nigeria has a booming tech industry". Now that's a great thing, for every lover of the Green White Green, hearing statements like that makes you feel great. However, the class of some of the "Nigerian" apps I have stumbled across leaves me wondering if our newspaper dallies have suddenly assumed the spin-master role that NTA has carried boldly over the years. One goes through the apps and wonders if the guy who built them had the consumer in mind or just his own fantasies of what his app should do. Now, I aren’t discrediting the fact that sometimes, the consumer might not know what he wants, but giving him something worse than what he already has easy access to is nothing short of stupidity. My point is, technology should be built around the consumer's viewpoint/flashpoints, not the consumer built around the technology viewpoints. Even the father of "no focus groups", Steve Jobs always insisted on that.

,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More